Wednesday, October 31, 2012

When Trendy Trumps Publishing Sense

STATUS: Wearing Halloween tights! Of course I'm having a great day.

What’s playing on the XM or iPod right now? SKYFALL by Adele

Don't ask because I won't reveal the title as this post is a true rant. *grin*

Last year I saw a YA manuscript on submission. The author had gotten an offer pretty quickly so I had to read right away. I read to the end (which is rare for me) and ultimately I decided to pass. The story had a lot of promise but for me, there was a bit of an ick factor and I thought it needed a ton of work. It also had a bit of a bizarre ending that I couldn't fathom.  The title went on to sell for big money at auction.

I remember just being astonished. Such a quick sale meant that very little work had been done before submission. In my mind, editors were willing to pay big money for a concept. Well, that's not the first time that has happened. And it's definitely not going to be the last.

Maybe I just had sour grapes as I had passed. There's probably some truth in that. From what I can tell though, the book was published in 2012 and it didn't do as expected.

Just recently it happened again with another YA title I saw on submission and passed on because I honestly did not think it was young adult novel despite its trendy concept.

I'm so so ready for something new and for editors to get excited about something wildly different!