STATUS: Not much has changed from last post….
What’s playing on the XM or iPod right now? CRASH INTO ME By Stevie Nicks
And since we are speaking of money and concerns over the possibly shrinking advances, LOL, this leads right into my very next webinar that's taking place on Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2012 from 6 to 8 pm Mountain time. It's called SHOW ME THE MONEY: The Anatomy of $ In A Book Deal.
I'm literally doing a 2-hour workshop that walks writers through a publishing contract and the anatomy of money in it. I'm using actual contract clauses to illustrate how and what earns a writer money in a publishing agreement.
I'm pretty sure this will be the best tutorial you'll have without actually having a book deal and your own agent walking you through your brand spankin' new contract.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing" as Alexander Pope says but I'm of the philosophy that you can't learn less. I like to be as thoroughly educated as I possibly can before being confronted with something.
Stuff you'll learn:
1) What can a writer earn in terms of advances for different genres?
2) What are the standard royalties? Royalty escalators?
3) What is "high discount" and how can it impact what you earn?
4) Bonus clauses. What are they? What types can be built into a contract?
5) What subsidiary rights can be sold and what are typical monies involved.
6) Clauses that don't immediately seem to be about money but can impact what you earn anyway.
Sound like something you might want to know? Then I'll see you there.